My Blog List

  • Finals Part: 1 - When I was in the 7th grade, I experienced true terror. Near my neighborhood, there was a firearm incident. I'd hear the gunshots as I was sitting at home ...

Monday, March 16, 2015

MLA Citation

MLA Citation
Lutz, Alma. Susan B. Anthony. Washington DC:  Beacon Press Inc, 1959
1   
 “I think the girl who is able to earn her own living and pay her own way should be as happy as anybody.” “The sense of independence and security is very sweet” ( qtd. In Susan B. Anthony: Biography).  This quote stood out to me because women are entitled to the same rights and benefits as men especially if she does everything on her own without the help of a man.  In addition this quote caught my attention also because Susan uses irony in the second sentence when she says “the sense of independence and security is sweet.” This is ironic because independence was promised in the declaration of Independence but yet women aren’t treated equal.
2    The day may be approaching when the whole world will recognize woman as the equal of man” (qtd. In Susan B. Anthony: Biography). I found this quote interesting because in the Declaration of Independence it says “all men are created equal and are endowed by their creator unalienable rights” yet women are treated differently and aren’t allowed to vote. Also because in present day women equality has been reached, but yet women are still objectified.
3    “I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand” (qtd. In Susan B. Anthony: Biography).  In this quote Susan is saying that women need to become independent and not rely or depend on men to take care of them. Women need to fend and fight for themselves to prove to the sexist men that they are equal. In addition I like this quote because I can somehow feel Susan’s pain and emotions through the words.
4   “There never will be complete equality until women themselves help to make laws and elect lawmakers” (qtd. In Susan B. Anthony: Biography).I find this quote meaningful because it’s explaining how women won’t be equal until they can be a part of the government make laws, vote for the president, and help change the country. Women won’t feel at one until they are seen as human beings and equals by their male counter parts.

5    The older I get the greater power I seem to have to help the world; I am like a snowball – the further I am rolled the more I gain” (qtd. In Susan B. Anthony: Biography). I found this quote meaningful because it describes the process of aging and how with times and old age comes wisdom. Susan is saying that the older she becomes she learns and absorbs information along the way, information and teachings that she can give to the world. Just like a snowball if rolled it becomes bigger and bigger just like wisdom over time.

No comments:

Post a Comment